Saturday, October 03, 2009

Chickening out



As I type this short musing, I am  sitting in our downstairs study sipping a hot mug of green tea. If things had worked out differently I would probably be sitting on a beach in Mambajao,Camiguin reveling in the view and the fresh air .

Today is the wedding of my eldest nephew , Desi , the first of  the next generation  to get married. It would be a beach wedding and then a sumptuous repast under the stars and with the sound of crashing waves applauding the newlyweds.Was already psyched up to travel since last week, despite the pain in my tailbone, having just got back from another trip to Tandag.

I would have taken the last bus last night from Davao to Butuan, Early morning bus from Butuan to Balingoan, then ferry from Balingoan to Benoni and lastly multicab from Benoni to Mambajao.

I like to plan trips. It has been my passion since I was young to travel and I slaked my thirst for travel when I worked with PAL by racking up the miles and destinations. Even after my stint in PAL, I would travel albeit not as far and free as before .


Anyway to get back to my story, everything was laid out and budgeted  but some spoiler named Pepeng got in the way…yes Typhoon Pepeng. An old time friend Roch Vivares who lives in Camiguin and would have met me there and caught up on old times called yesterday saying that winds were very strong and the waves were high. Having watched “A Perfect Storm “ yesterday on HBO gave my imagination fits. I know that I can still swim somehow but a hungry shark, age and hypothermia would surely catch up with me  .
 


.And although some people mistake me for an out of focus George Clooney , I did not relish having to brave the waves  and swim for my life.

I chickened out and canceled my trip. My nephew was somewhat disappointed on the phone when I broke the news. Thus instead of adding another adventure to the numerous notches on my belt, I opted to stay home , tickle the plastic keys on my keyboard and chill out.

To Desi and Baba, Congratulations and best wishes.

Craker nuts anyone?


No comments: